Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Winding up and winding down for the holidays




The Open Source Team is winding down a bit for the holiday season here in the United States, and we wanted to take a chance to thank all of you once again for all of your great work in Summer of Code. We'd like everyone to be as proud of what you've achieved as we are, so we're hoping you'll take some time in the next few weeks to let us know how things have been going for you. Have you had code integrated into your project's latest release or been voted in as a committer? Have you started a great new job or given a talk about your experiences in the program? Help us celebrate your successes; email us a write up of your latest and greatest adventures - just a paragraph or two on what you've been up to - and we'll do what we can to feature it on this blog. If you're looking for inspiration, look no further than some of our past posts.

Happy Holidays to all, and see you in the New Year!

6 comments:

encompass said...

Blessing of GSoC
You know, many projects fail. In a way my PyStart has not gone anyware sinces it release. No one seemed to take interest in it. But that doesn't mean it was a failure. I learned so much about software production. I was able to get past all those mistakes that eager developers get into. I had the chance to play with all my new code ideas and make something that I could be proud of.
I have even been able to startup my own project that IS a great success interms of users. memaker.org and avatar making program. If it wasn't for GSoC I would have never learned how to work with a community like this. If fact, a lot of the success even lies in the book you give as a gift. Wonderful read.
It was only after GSoC that I got enough confidence to go to an employer and tell them that I can program. A great feeling. It was working with GSoC that helped my school realize that there is a Demand for Open Source programmers and that maybe their move to all Microsoft Visual Studios was a bad idea. They should have let open source have a choice too.
So yeah, it was a great success for me (and my family). Feel free to use any part of this response.

Leslie Hawthorn said...

@ encompass: We are glad to hear that GSoC was such a good experience for you.

Marc-André Lureau said...

Hi! as a 2006 soc participant, I want to thank you again, and will remain thankful. I share a similar GSoC experience with encompass, and I am glad to work for Nokia nowadays, thanks to GSoC and Google. Best wishes for next year to you, GSoC team and the great G company behind :)

Garthee said...

My project involved with Drupal and I developed a module for auto completion of links and to generalize the way filtering of links is done in Drupal. Stable code is out, and glad to see it has created some inspiration on others too.

Personally, GSoC added experience in Drupal to my CV and immediately after 5th semester exam I got a contract job to implement / customize Drupal popular company here.

I moved my site to Drupal, successfully encouraged my friends and acquaintances too.

Finally, now I am doing my internship at Motorola INC, not much related to web development though. However, I am sure GSoC made a difference, and I hope to be there in 2008 too.

Garthee

Garthee said...

Sorry forgot to wish you all a very happy new year and Merry Christmas..

We are still stuck with coding here at work :)

Leslie Hawthorn said...

@ elmarco & garthee: Thank you both for your kind words. It is wonderful to hear that the two of you that your experiences in the program helped you with your employment prospects.

Hope that everyone had a lovely holiday season!